At Poplars Community Primary School we will:
- Designate a member of staff to have a responsibility to young carers
- Make sure that all the pupils in school are aware who the designated teacher for young carers is
- All staff to be trained and given information about young carers.
- Be sensitive towards young carers needs
- Give information (where applicable) to the child and family about what services and help is available within our community
- Pass relevant information onto the class teacher with the consent of the family
- Liaise with the appropriate agencies i.e. Suffolk Young Carers
Our Pastoral and Community Lead, Mrs Daniels, is the Suffolk Young Carers Lead and is responsible for all SYC referrals. This compliments our school policy of ensuring all pupils have equal opportunities, access to learning and all school activities. This will enable our SYC pupils to enjoy and celebrate success alongside their non SYC peers.
At Poplars we are aware that some of our pupils are young carers. A young carer is defined as someone under 18 who is caring for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. They often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult. Research suggests there are at least 700,000 young carers in the UK but many do not realise they are a young carer.
We know that young carers may need a little extra support to enjoy and do well at school. We are committed to ensuring that all pupils who are young carers are identified, and supported effectively.
For more information on this subject, please click here.