The children enjoyed a magical trip to the Puppet Theatre. They sat beautifully and were enthralled by the performance of Thumbelina. Their behaviour was exemplary.
We are now into the first term of the school year! We are all very excited to get to know the children a lot better.
During the first half term we have a trip to Southwold lighthouse planned and a family picnic!
This term we are learning all about our local area, focusing on Lighthouses. Please look at our Curriculum Map to see what other exciting activities and learning we will be doing.
Year 1 teachers
As we enter the new term we ask you to please take a look at all of the info below that contains the important 'stuff' for day to day life at Poplars! Don't forget to scroll down to the class pages to see what we have been doing this week and any photos we have taken.
Please ensure that all of your children’s clothes are clearly labelled with their names.
- Red jumper/fleece/cardigan
- White shirt/polo-shirt
- Black smart shoes
- Black or grey trousers/shorts
- Black or grey trousers/shorts/dress or red chequered dress
- Your child may wear stud earrings and a watch to school if they wish
It is really important for your child to practise reading as much as possible in order to consolidate their learning in school and to help them to broaden their vocabulary skills, general knowledge and imagination. While we practise reading in school as much as possible, each child is expected to read to an adult/older sibling at home at least 3 times per week. This needs to be dated and signed by the adult/older sibling who hears them to read in their reading record book.
Children who meet this requirement receive rewards and prizes for themselves and the class.
Homework will be given out on a Friday and needs to be back into school by the following Thursday in order for it to be marked.
Due to a range of circumstances, we ask that your child brings their PE kit in on a Monday morning and takes it home on Friday afternoons, so that it is available to them every day of the week. Please ensure that all PE kit is clearly labelled with your child’s name.
Their PE kit should consist of:
- Red polo shirt
- Black/navy shorts
- Black/navy jogging bottoms
- Black plimsolls for indoor use and trainers for outdoor use
- A jumper for the cooler seasons
- A hair band if your child has long hair
Please inform your child’s teacher immediately if they have any medical conditions/requirements.
- All children with asthma should have a spare inhaler at school available to them at all times, which must be labelled with their name.
- If your child has any dietary requirements please let us know.
- If your child is unable to come to school for any reason, please call the school (01502) 565757 to let us know as soon as possible (before 9:00am) so that we can mark their absence correctly in the register
- If your child is absent for a longer period of time, your teacher will be happy to provide some work for them to do at home if you wish. Please contact your teacher if this is required
- You can contact the teacher by writing in their reading record book, which is checked daily. Alternatively if you wish to have a meeting with your teacher, please make an appointment with them either through the school office or liaising with the teacher directly.
- Please let your class teacher know if your child is being picked up by an additional adult other than yourself. We will not allow a child to go home with an unfamiliar adult that has not been designated.
- Please inform us if you have a change of address/contact number.
Please take a look at the Curriculum Maps by clicking on the documents below!
I am sure you will agree, it is going to be a great year!
Mrs Pratt, Mrs Moore and Mrs Barratt